Prepare, prepare, prepare… that’s right, it’s time for you to do your homework! As with most things in life, interview preparation is vital, and getting ready for that all important interview is no different. We have put together a few great interview tips to help you make a fantastic first impression, highlight your skills and secure the right career move for you.
1. The Company
Research the company history, current situation and future plans. Not only will this stand you in good stead to deal with any questions you may be asked relating to your knowledge of the company, it will also help you get to the heart of what drives and motivates the company and see if you think the culture is a good fit for you. This type of information can be found on the company’s website, LinkedIn profile and, your consultant should be a really valuable source of information too.
2. The role
You will also need to do your research on the role itself that you’re applying for – what would your role and responsibilities be? Can you use your past work experience to demonstrate that you have the skills necessary to handle the role? Think about specific examples of how you used these skills effectively in past roles.
It is also important that you take the time to do your homework on yourself! Take the time to review your work history including key dates, job titles, duties and accomplishments. Think of your strengths and weaknesses and try and relate them to the role – can you provide good examples to illustrate your comments.
4. Interview questions you may be asked
Prepare answers for the following interview questions – try to give full answers with examples and relate your experiences to their role.
- Why do you want to come and work for us?
- What can you bring to the role?
- What motivates/de-motivates you?
- What are your ambitions and where do you see yourself in 5/10 years?
- What do you expect from us as a company?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Why are you leaving your current role?
- Which aspects of your current role do you enjoy or dislike?
5. Interview questions to ask
Remember it’s just as important that you come away knowing as much as possible about the role so you can decide whether it is the right fit for you, so prepare and ask as many interview questions as you need to.
- How do you see this role progressing?
- Can you give me a breakdown of the duties and responsibilities?
- What training schemes do you offer?
- Can you tell me about the future plans for the company and how this might impact the role?
- Is there anything I haven’t covered that you would like to know?
- What is the interview process?
If you follow our advice, you should be fully prepared to go out and get your dream job! Or, if you’re still thinking about making a career move, why not chat to one of our team to learn about all the fantastic new opportunities that we have in your area 01480 431888.