The clock striking twelve to mark the end of the year signals a time for a fresh start for many of us. It gives us the opportunity, time and deadline to consider changing things for the better, for the new year. This may be losing weight, quitting smoking, buying a new home, joining the gym or even getting a new job.
If you’re considering a new job for the new year, then this is a must-read blog post for you.
The process for landing your next job can be lengthy. We recommend that you start preparing now. Getting a head start on the points below will help you to land a job faster as the new year comes round.
- Check and update your CV. Put your latest job position on there and include your job responsibilities too. Check through the CV to ensure that you have written in the same tense throughout it. Also, double check that your contact details and jobs are up to date too.
- Take the time to look at recruitment agencies that are based in the area of your new job. Sign up with them and see if you can book an interview too. This way you will get to know them, and they’ll get to know you. Tell then what you’ve done and what you’re looking for. Don’t forget to talk about the culture of a business that you would like too.
- Start searching for a job. Look on social media platforms such as LinkedIn and reach out to your network for their support too. Keep an eye on online job boards for jobs that you would like. Keep checking in with your recruitment consultant too, so they know you’re still actively looking.
- It’s important to be patient. Annoyingly, it can take employers time to get back to you. A lot of your time will be taken up applying for jobs and waiting for responses. Don’t get disheartened, it can take time and often does.
- The interview process can take time too. You may be offered a phone interview, and then a second, third and even fourth interview. Some companies will request work trials and some interview processes will include assessment centres too. It’s good to be aware of the interview process so you know what to expect.
- Don’t forget your notice period. Check your contract to see how much notice you need to give at your current job. It is likely the potential employer will want to know this. Remember to give notice on time so you can start your new job as soon as possible.
If you’re looking for a career change in the new year, give us a call. We can talk you through our upcoming vacancies or you can view our current job vacancies in Cambridgeshire here now.