So, you’ve managed to get an interview, you’ve done your interview preparation, and now the dreaded nerves set in! Don’t worry, everyone gets nervous at interview. We have some great advice to ensure you look great, sound great and have bags of interview confidence to go get that job…
Things to do
- Dress appropriately – always wear smart and professional clothing. A suit is preferable if you have one, a smart shirt/blouse and trousers/skirt if not. Ask your consultant if you have any doubt.
- Ensure you greet everyone with a firm handshake, eye contact and a smile. Often a team is asked what they think of interview candidates as they will have to work with the successful person so be aware of this from the moment you arrive. Make conversation in the waiting room, and with the person who comes to collect you. Be professional, friendly and amenable.
- Take a note pad along with some well-prepared and neatly presented questions to demonstrate that you are methodical, organised and have given thought as to why you are going to that company.
- Maintain eye contact throughout the interview and where there is an interview panel, endeavour to look at all of them in turn.
- Always be positive when talking about previous roles and colleagues to give the impression that you are a loyal and dedicated person.
- Always be yourself and let your personality shine through.
Things to avoid
- Never be late – make sure you plan your route in advance and even do a trial run. Try to get there approximately 10 minutes early (to be late is unforgivable).
- Try not to give ‘yes’ and ‘no’ answers as you will be expected to expand and give examples to demonstrate your knowledge and experience.
- Do not talk about money until you are asked to do so. Your consultant will have told the company what salary you are looking for and you should have been given an indication of what they are looking to pay from your consultant.
All that’s left to do is wish you ‘Good Luck’!