The Do’s and Don’ts of Interview Body Language

Research shows that only 7% of communication is what we say. The other 93% of communication is non-verbal. In fact 38% of communication is the tone of voice we use to say things. A whopping 55% of communication is based on our body language. When you attend an interview you are being listened to, but you’re also watched too.   Interview body language is hugely important.

This is why we have put together a list of do’s and don’ts for your interview body language. By being aware of your interview body language you will be far more likely to have a successful interview and hopefully bag the job of your dreams.

The Do’s of Interview Body Language

  • Don’t have numerous bags, briefcases, folders and coats. It can make you look disorganised as you are carrying everything to enter or leave the interview.
  • Have clean shows. Interviewers report the last they remember is the back of candidates’ shoes. Make sure you shoes are professional and clean as they will be noticed.
  • If you have a choice of where to sit in the interview, angle yourself towards the interviewer instead of directly opposite. Your body language will be telling them that you are both on the same side.
  • Make sure you convey poise and confidence. Practice your power pose for when you are sitting in reception, in the interview and standing to leave the interview.

The Don’ts of Interview Body Language

  • Try to avoid smiling nervously. If you smile too much it can come across as interview nerves. If you aim to smile at the beginning and end of the interview this will help form an air of confidence.
  • When you purse your lips it can give the impression you are holding back. Try to avoid pursing your lips to avoid this impression being made.
  • While it is a good idea to own your space in an interview room, try not to be too territorial. Keep your arms close to your body, but avoid crossing them.
  • Touching your hair or face repeatedly will give the impression you are nervous. If this is a natural habit find a way of keeping your hands away from your hair and face.

Interview nerves are only normal, but these tips should help combat some of those nerves and help you give the best possible interview impression.